Monday, May 02, 2022

Here's NOT What's Going To Happen In the First Round

 

The long road to the Stanley Cup begins with the match-ups set on Monday, May 2 and Tuesday, May 3 for game 1. I submitted my NHL playoff bracket yesterday, but I was informed the deadline to enter is Wednesday, just prior to game 2. That means you can second guess your choices after the first two nights. Anyways, here's my selections for round one, but I could change things up before Wednesday:

Eastern Conference

A1 Florida Panthers vs. WC2 Washington Capitals 
The Panther scored the most goals in the league and Washington's goaltending situation doesn't breed confidence for a possible upset. I don't like Washington or Ovie, so it's easy to guess who I'm picking.
Panthers in 6

M1 Carolina Hurricanes vs. WC1 Boston Bruins
Most years I pick Boston to go far because I believe the Bruins can play a heavy-playoff-style of hockey from the start of the series. Rask is gone, but I have a feeling Caroline will be the team that frets about their goalies. I hear Anderson won't start game one, so advantage Boston. I think I picked the Hurricanes to win the cup last year and they sure didn't! I won't be fooled again!
Bruins in 7
 
A2 Toronto Maple Leafs vs. A3 Tampa Bay Lightning
The Leafs haven't won a playoff series since...it's been awhile! Judging by stats and their 115 point season, this might be their best chance ever to win one. The Lightning have won the last 2 cups and if they can get past the Leafs, they could three-peat. I dislike the Leaf so much, I couldn't live with myself if I picked them, so...
Lightning in 7 

M2 New York Rangers vs. M3 Pittsburgh Penguins
I don't dislike either team and I don't really care who wins, I love the Breadman and Copp is a former Jet, but you can't count out Sid or Gene, especially at playoff time. I hope this doesn't come down to goaltending because the Rangers have the edge, but we know goalie stats during the regular season as soooo overrated! Same with home ice.
Penguins in 7

 

Western Conference

C1 Colorado Avalanche vs. WC2 Nashville Predators
On paper, this series (along with Panthers/Caps) is the biggest mismatch as far as points differential. The Avs are built to win, speedy, physical and high level skill. MacKinnon and Makar in my mind are two of the best at their positions, so this could be short series. Honestly, I can't see the upset, but if the Preds can win the first or/and the second game, watch out.
Avalanche in 5
 
P1 Calgary Flames vs. WC1 Dallas Stars
A Canadian team hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993 and with the Leafs, Oilers and Flames competing this year I have faint hope. The Flames have played their best hockey in years with a rejuvenated Johnny Hockey, Keith's oldest son and a solid lineup top to bottom. A good match-up, Dallas has a better defense, the Flames the goaltending and both teams have high scoring top lines, but he Flames have more depth at forward. The Stars in their race to the final playoff spot stumbled, but the Knights stumbled more, they're not playing well. I picked the Flames to win the cup, so they better win this series!
Flames in 6
 
C2 Minnesota Wild vs. C3 St. Louis Blues
Two fierce Central Division rivals that could be the best series to watch, I don't think they like each other. The Wild were high flying most of the season and solidified their goalie "problem" with both Talbot and Fleury playing well in the stretch drive. The Blues are tough to play against during the regular season and especially the playoffs. Since Minneapolis/St. Paul is the closest other NHL city nearby, I always hope they do well. If they go deeper, I might drive in for a game, plus if they go deeper, the Blackhawks conditional draft pick for the Fleury deal will be upgraded to a first rounder. A Wild win would help the Hawks, go Wild!!
Wild in 7
 
P2 Edmonton Oilers vs. P3 Los Angeles Kings
Another team I don't want to see go far are the Oilers. The past couple years, the Oilers have exited quickly and it proves you can't win a playoff series with just two players, they can be beat. I hate the idea that Oiler's reliance on Draisaitl and McDavid could work with literally fill-in players and there's a reason they can't keep a coach. The Kings? Let's hope they make Connor and Leon's life miserable. Stop them, you win. The Jets and Hawks did it.
Kings in 7

No comments: