Monday, March 29, 2010

What I Bought On eBay.


This is probably old news if you live in my household, but I bought a piece of art last month on eBay. As you might know already, I'm a big comic book/cartoon collector and any time I have a chance to purchase something new and possibly unique, I'll do it, within my budget...of course.

This is an original editorial cartoon from the Omaha World Herald in 1994, by Jeff Koterba. I actually won the bidding back in early February so I thought the timing was good because it was a few days before the start of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Earlier that week, the local paper ran a piece on the "Worst scandals in Winter Olympic history. The #1 scandal was the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident when Kerrigan was attacked and injured by a baton-wielding man. It turned out the assailant was hired by Harding's ex-husband and current body guard of Harding, who was one of Kerrigan's teammates on the U.S. figure skating team. The upcoming Winter Olympics and this (event-appropriate) cartoon, I had to have it!

The art work is a pen and ink piece complete with some white-out and pencil marks, that make it all the more authentic. It seemed funny at the time and my kids still don't get the humour in this strip, so I guess you had to be there. Anyways, check out Jeff's site for more great strips and I'll be on the look out for his memoir, Inklings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't she go into roller derby or something equally odd after this?