Friday, July 06, 2007

I Hate Those Flippys!!


I went to the Winnipeg Folk Festival last year mainly to see J perform on the Young Performers stage. I'm going again this year, just for Friday, but I could definitely live without going to the Folk fest. You see, I used to go every year back in the 80's and early 90's, I used to really enjoy attending for a couple of days sampling different performers and discovering music I would otherwise not listen to. But something happening, I dreaded hauling my ass out to Birds Hill Park dogged down with tarps, backpacks, extra clothes, bug spray, sunscreen, folding chair, cooler...you get the picture. Kind of like going to the beach without the water. The kid's didn't want to watch the music, they wanted to play in the sandbox or paint or run around, crap they could do in the city for free.

I'm going to pay $57 (before tax and the convenience fee...why do I have to pay a CF if I buy the ticket at the gate?) so I can my watch my son play 2 songs, what a f*cking rip! I looked at the program tonight and there is nothing that interests me at all on Friday and then there's the people that attend the Festival, I can't stand those phonies. My co-worker (Brian) and I were spewing our hatred of the Folk Fest and he came up with a great term..Flippys. Flippys are those annoying people that are hippies for the weekend, kind of pseudo-hippies that flip from their otherwise conservative 9-5 suit and tie attire, to dressing down in their $200 cut-offs, tie-dye t-shirt, headband, beads and those stupid looking tilley hats. I guess this is their idea of slumming.

All things aside, the music is still the best part, so I will try to record J's performance, stay tuned I will post the songs on the Teenage Dogs blog . Should be entertaining, I'll let you know how thrilling Friday at the Winnipeg Folk Festival really is.

No comments: